January 5, 2008

It is WEDDING Season

That's right! It is the time of year that most men dread, and most women love---wedding planning season!!! All the newly engaged, and totally clueless, brides are scouring the internet for ideas, plans, and just general wedding chat.

I know this because I was "that girl" in 2005-2006. I was a little different though. I DID want to know how to have the big wedding, but I wanted to know how to actually do it CHEAPLY. That's right, I admit it. I wanted cheap cheap cheap, without looking cheap cheap cheap.

I must say also, I did it. I managed to have a wedding with buffet dinner, and open bar, for 125 guest for about $10k. It was work, and I did a lot on my own, but we stuck to our budget. Today I just want to introduce you to some of the resources I used.

First and foremost---use The Knot Website . It is very cliche I know, but it works. You can make a profile (or not) and then log in to the message boards. I used the local board for where my wedding was located to find a very affordable caterer and photographer. I liked the boards so much because it is real women and their real experiences. I also used the honeymoon message board to plan a 10 day stay in St. Lucia for less than 3k (and we went ALL out).

I also liked The Knot because I could make a FREE wedding website. Nothing is better than FREE. The site was easy to maintain and easy to change the theme. For example we made our site very winter-like during December and then switched back to the beach theme in January. I also chose to use the RSVP option on my website to avoid the pesky "pre-stamped" RSVP envelope costs with my invitations. Just try it, you will get addicted and become a "knottie".

I also used Stephi Stewart's "Fire Your Wedding Planner" e-book after a friend suggested I look at it. The book cost about $30. She says she saved over $10,000 with the tips in her book. I would say I probably saved close to $800 or so. Worth in the investment in my eyes. She also gives you freebies like a name-change kit and budget worksheet. I loved my e-book and referred to it a lot during my planning. It was nice to have it early on in my planning.

When you go to the site---LOOK DOWN! She has a ton of links to things like FREE wedding websites to more free tips on wedding savings. After you have seen those, enter your email address for "instant access". Don't worry you will just get a newsletter weekly or so with tips (I see FREE) on how to save money. The next page shows you how to get the e-book if you are still interested. I have posted here some of the reviews she has gotten. Good Luck in your planning!

I have saved approximately $7500 so far and I am not even through yet...

...I just wanted to let you know that because of your book, I have saved over $9,000 on the cost of my wedding...

... For the reception alone, I received $2000 off the minimum, free Champagne Toast and International Coffee Bar with no extra fees...


See Stephi's e-book Here

No comments: